William Lew Live-Dream-Play

Call or Text 604-862-1966 | EMAIL info@williamlew.com |

This is the most a B.C. landlord can raise rent in 2019


Maximum allowable rent increase is biggest since 2004, due to rising inflation

Staff Writer Western Investor
September 8, 2018


Rent signThe rate for the maximum allowable rent increase has now been set for B.C. in 2019 — File image

The rate for the maximum allowable rent increase has now been set for B.C. in 2019.

The provincial government uses the B.C. Consumer Price Index and the formula for rent increases, which adds up to a top annual rent increase of 4.5 per cent. But it's the largest allowable rent hike in more than a decade.

“B.C. landlords can choose to increase rent once annually,” said a government news release. “The maximum percentage increase allowed each year is the inflation rate plus two per cent. The inflation rate, calculated using the 12-month average percentage change in the Consumer Price Index for British Columbia ending in July, is 2.5 per cent.”

For manufactured home park tenancies, the rate is 4.5 per cent, plus a proportional amount for the change in local government levies and regulated utility fees.

“Landlords must provide tenants with three full months' notice using the correct notice of rent increase form,” said the news release.

For more information about the annual allowable rent increase, visit the B.C. government's website: Rent Increases

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.