William Lew Live-Dream-Play

Call or Text 604-862-1966 | EMAIL info@williamlew.com |

Residential property taxes to rise in Vancouver to help businesses


by Steve Randall01 May 2019

Vancouver homeowners and renters will take on a larger share of the property tax burden in a move to help local businesses.

The City Council has voted in favour of a 2% tax shift from non-residential class to residential class buildings, phased in over three years.

The initial shift of 1% will be for 2019 with further shifts of 0.5% for 2020 and 2021.

The 2019 shift will mean property tax for an average single-family home ($2.3m) which was due to decrease by $32 year-over-year to $2,995, will instead rise by $54 (0.7%) to $3,049.

For an average condo ($0.9m) the increase was due to be $137 year-over-year but will now be $22 higher, making a 14.8% hike overall.

Meanwhile, an average commercial property (5.3m) will see a 2.2% tax rise year-over-year but the increase will be $508 less than the planned $996 hike, taking the average property tax to $22,442 for 2019.

The previous shift on tax share was in 2008 with the program completed in 2012. This latest move will increase the residential tax share to 55.9% and reduce the non-residential tax share to 44.1%.

The changes will be reflected in the 2019 tax bills, which will be sent out starting May 17, 2019.

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.