William Lew Live-Dream-Play

Call or Text 604-862-1966 | EMAIL info@williamlew.com |

BC homeowners given deadline to apply for speculation tax exemption


by Duffie Osental20 Jan 2019

British Columbia’s Ministry of Finance gave a deadline for homeowners to apply for exemption from the province’s speculation and vacancy tax.

Seen as a way to address the overheated housing market in BC’s large metropolitan areas, the speculation and vacancy tax looks to turn unused properties into rentals.  According to CBC News, homeowners who live in their properties are exempt from paying the tax, but must complete an exemption form by 31 March otherwise they’ll automatically pay by default.  Notices will be sent to homeowners in the Lower Mainland, Greater Victoria, Kelowna, and Nanaimo in the coming weeks.

CBC News said that B.C.’s Ministry of Finance expects that more than 99% of British Columbians will be exempt. This means that, of the 1.6 million households that will receive the letter, only about 32,000 homes will be taxed.

According to CBC News, the tax rate is 0.5% of the property's assessed value for all properties subject to the tax in 2018. For 2019 and subsequent years, the tax rate is 2% for foreign owners and satellite families, and 0.5% for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada who are not members of a satellite family. Satellite families are those families where the majority of the combined income is earned outside of Canada.

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.